Monday, November 06, 2006

Mam or Hon?

Which is more disturbing? We've all heard the "I've been mam'd" chatter-it makes up feel old (older) immediately. But something else that's been bothering me, perhaps even moreso is the"hon" thing. Thanks, hon....etc. I'm not your hon-which I assume is short for honey. I don't know you, how can I be your honey? How can you presume to be so familiar.
"I'd like a medium hot coffee, a little bit of cream and three splenda."
"Thanks, hon, will there be anything else?"
"Yea-spill some of that hot coffee on yourself and next time maybe it will remind you NOT TO CALL ME HON!"
Who even uses these words? I would no more think of referring to a woman as "mam" as I would a guy, "sir." It's just beyond me. As much as that I find that completely irritating- having a 22 year old call me "hon" just does me in. I know, I know - they mean it in a nice way but someone has got to speak up about this.
How about this - just "thanks" will do. Not even "will there be anything else with this?" (but that's another rant for another day!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

I know what you mean. When I was in the middle of a dispute with the manager of my bank and she called me sweety I flipped. I told her that unless she was attempting to pick my up she'd better not use that word with me again because we both knew that it was just a substitute for what she really wanted to call me

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you. A woman I worked with called me "honey" all the time. AND every male caller was "sir". How about leaping into the 21st century?

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home