Tuesday, August 08, 2006

There IS A Problem!!

I'm not sure when the shift in common use of language began, all I know is that it seems to have taken on a life of its own. There are many examples in our day-to-day lives but the one that has planted itself firmly beneath my skin is the following and I will illustrate a sample conversation.
This one takes place at a convenience store and it goes like this:

I bring my overpriced items to the check-out counter. (okay, I know, it's a convenience store)
After the clerk asks whether or not I'd like a bag for my items (no, maybe I'll carry them out in my teeth!) I am given the total. I hand the clerk money and the change is handed back.
I say, "thank you." and the response - "no problem" (or its variation - "not a problem")
Perhaps I am showing my age, but I always thought the proper response was "you're welcome" or, also acceptable, "my pleasure" (although it's most likely far from.)
What does "not a problem" mean? Of course it shouldn't be a problem - it's their job!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home